Monday, October 13, 2014

A Very Bohemian Backpacker's Hostel


A little over a month ago I took a trip back to BC. I was going stir crazy in Winnipeg and just needed a break. I quit my job, cashed my check, and bought a Greyhound ticket. The ride was stressful enough having to deal with Fish Lips. When I got to Vancouver not a single hostel had any space. Turns out the last week of August is one of the busiest for travel in the area. I skipped over to Vancouver Island for a few days knowing that even if the hostels were full camping in the city parks is free and legal from sun down to sun up.

After a few days on the Island, I headed back to Vancouver hoping my luck would be better. It wasn't. I walked from hostel to hostel. All were full. All recommended other hostels. Other hostels except one I will not name, the one that I wound up at. Every single desk clerk I talked to said not to go there. But it was that or sleep on the beach. Looking back I would have honestly been better off on the beach. I didn't take their advice and instead headed to said hostel desperate for a bed.

I walked in to the overwhelming smell of smokes and weed. Someone walked by wearing nothing but a towel, winked, and said “Welcome to the Hostel”. Charming. Check in was supposed to be at 11am but the desk clerk was nearly a half hour late. I got my keys, a grungy set of mismatched sheets, and headed up to my room. A double bed for only $35 per night plus a $10 deposit. Toilet paper was an extra dollar. By far the lowest hostel price in Van.

The room seemed actually kind of adorable at first. It was furnished with a four post bamboo bed, a dresser, an old wood table and a small counter with sink and mirror. As I threw down my bag and sat at the table I could hear opera music coming in through the window. I was nice. I sat for a while to catch my breath and enjoy the music and then wandered through Van to meet up with an old friend.

When I came back I decided I would hang out in the kitchen to see if I could meet some people. The kitchen has a lot of art that I assume was made by patrons and a little shrine to Jimmi Hendricks. One corner had instruments like djembes and didgeridoos for guest use. I walked in to a man spinning a large kitchen knife in his fingers and chanting “Rooobeeeerrtooo”. Creepy. I sat down at the dining room table and chatted with a few hostellers. Nearby on the computer, a guy with a massive tray of dope sat rolling giant joints. He and the other fellow got into an argument and I decided it wasn't really my scene.

I mostly stuck to my room after that but even wandering through the halls I noticed odd things. One hallway with a fire escape had been blocked off by planters and there was bedding on the floor. They were renting it out as a room! The top of the staircase was also blocked off as a room. Even a patio had been covered by a tarp and made into a room. They tucked people anywhere and everywhere.

Sleeping that night was not peaceful. There was a party right outside my door but that wasn't really a big deal. It was the creepy crawlies that got me. The place obviously had bedbugs and some other type of beetle was escaping from the wall behind the mirror. That's what I could see. I don't want to think about what I couldn't.

The next day proved to be just as odd as the last. As I sat in my room drinking coffee and listening to the french chansons playing over the PA system, a window in the same courtyard as mine opened. Someone yelled something and then jumped out the window onto the tarp covered patio where someone else was staying. The jumper was obviously on something. He just said he was “High on life” and then ran out of the hostel. The place definitely had some characters.

Needless to say I was glad when I finally checked out. Next time I'll sleep on the beach.

No comments:

Post a Comment